Translate

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Salad for breakfast???


Definitely not the usual breakfast at my desk this morning.
It’s not a pretty picture, I know, but sometimes food is just fuel. It’s awesome when it’s more than that … delicious, beautiful, attractively plated, appropriate for the time of day you are ingesting it, etc., but sometimes you are running late for work and forgot to make overnight oats the night before. So you run to your freezer and find you are out of zucchini oatmeal muffins as well. Then what do you do?! You grab whatever you have, knowing it will be OK because anything you grab is going to be healthy since you cleaned out your refrigerator and cupboards of all junk foods months ago when you began this whole food plant based way of eating. And, if you were me this morning, this is what you had: kale and apple salad and some steamed baby Yukon gold potatoes … not normally what I would consider for breakfast, but what the heck.

I’ve never had kale for breakfast. Now, I know some people have green smoothies for breakfast that incorporate kale, but I’m really not a smoothie person. I prefer to chew my food. It wasn’t difficult to wrap my head around apples, cranberries and slivered almonds in a sweet lemon vinaigrette for the morning, but kale? Well … let’s just say it was along for the ride because of the super duper health benefits. And it didn’t disappoint. Pretty yummy! And, with the potatoes, kept me full until now ... lunch time. I just may plan on salad for breakfast tomorrow. What’s your weirdest breakfast?

1 comment: