Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Expanding My Horizons


This Southwestern Quinoa Salad is so simple and so yummy. And, it keeps in the fridge for at least three days. Maybe more. I’ve never had opportunity to test it for any longer. It tends to go fast in my household as does any Southwestern, Tex Mex, or Mexican dish.

I’m kind of new to the quinoa scene. I have previously made this salad with couscous, but I am expanding my grain horizons. Actually, technically, quinoa (pronounced “keenwah”) is not a grain at all. It is harvested from a species of a plant called goosefoot and is officially a seed. Grain … seed … my belly doesn’t care. It’s yummy and full of protein and fiber and I think I like this salad better with it rather than the couscous.

This dish is great for a household with plant based eaters and meat eaters alike, as it can easily be modified to incorporate some sliced rotisserie chicken (or grilled shrimp) on top for the latter. I have a latter … my husband. I no longer cook him any meat since going plant based August 2017, but he will often bring home a rotisserie chicken from Costco for himself.  I have even “forgotten” to include sliced chicken on the top for him and he still eats it. It’s pretty hearty and has everything he needs, even if he doesn’t realize it.  

southwestern quinoa salad

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cup vegetable stock (or water)
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 ears fresh cooked corn (can sub canned or frozen)
  • 1 can diced green chilis, mild
  • Grape tomatoes (as much or little as you want)
  • 2 avocados, cubed
  • ½ cup chopped red onion
  • ½ cup chopped red pepper
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice
  • ½ tsp. cumin
  • ¼ tsp. garlic powder
  • ¼ chili powder
  • Salt and pepper to taste


INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Before cooking the quinoa, be sure to rinse thoroughly, unless the package states pre-rinsed. (Kirkland brand from Costco is one that you don’t have to rinse.)
  2. Add the rinsed quinoa to a medium sized pot and stir over medium heat until excess liquid is cooked off and quinoa is slightly toasted. Add the 2 cups of broth or water. Bring to a gentle boil, cover and simmer on low until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Set aside to cool.
  3. While quinoa is cooking and/or cooling, dice onion and red pepper, cut grape tomatoes in half and cut (precooked) corn off the cob. Place in a large bowl.  
  4. Drain and rinse the black beans and add to the bowl.
  5. When quinoa is cool, add to the bowl and sprinkle cumin, garlic powder and chili  powder over the top. Adjust spices, more or less, to your taste.
  6. Cube avocado and add to the bowl, pour lemon juice over all and toss together gently. Salt and pepper to taste. 

The lemon juice is the only thing you need to dress this yummy salad, and helps to keep the avocado from turning color. It works for at least three days, in my experience.

TIP: I love raw onion, but sometimes the taste is too in your face, harsh. To combat this, I boil water in a small sauce pan. When boiling I add the chopped onion, stir it around for 20-30 seconds, drain and rinse with cold water and dry on a paper towel. This leaves them with a more mild and enjoyable flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment