Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Sharing the Love



Pure, plant based potato salad perfection here! No eggs, no oil, no sacrifice of flavor! The green olives, in my humble opinion, are what take this scrumptious salad over the top!  My first memory of green olives was when I was about 4, maybe 5, years old. My dad gave me one to eat and I remember the initial shock of that first bite and the assault on my taste buds. My response was to gag, cover my mouth and run around the house trying to find somewhere to spit it out. My dad’s response was to run behind me to make sure I didn’t spit, or worse, behind the couch. I suppose my palate was just too unsophisticated at that age to appreciate their awesomeness. 

I love ‘em now!  Pimento stuffed, garlic stuffed, blue cheese stuffed (before going plant based) unstuffed. Any way you have them, that’s the way I like ‘em. And, as I just discovered, I especially love them in potato salad!


I used the recipe from Brand New Vegan (link below) but, as always, I had to make my own modifications. I didn't have red pepper so I used some grated carrot just for some color. Looks like I could have used a little more. And, of course, I added some pimento stuffed green olives. I also, sometimes, like to add peas and/or kidney beans, but didn't this time. Instead of relish I chopped one huge dill pickle and left the chunks kinda big. I like my pickles also. 


For the dressing I added a little more pickle juice than it called for and a whole lot more mustard. Instead of brown sugar I used succanat. The dressing recipe is definitely a keeper and I can see it having more applications than just potato salad. This was a hit with my non plant based co-workers today. I took a picnic lunch in and this was one of the dishes I shared with them along with no tuna sandwich spread, veggies with tzatziki dip, edamame and for dessert ... donuts! Awesome, healthy donuts using a banana muffin recipe baked in silicone donut molds.


Recipe links: 
https://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/vegan-potato-salad
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/vegan-tzatziki-239629 (omit the oil)
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/vegan-no-tuna-salad-sandwich/#gs.1hGcdN4
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/just-bananas-muffins/#gs.v9zVi=A



No comments:

Post a Comment