Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2018

Out of Limbo and Losing Again!


The scale is finally moving in the right direction again ... downward! And I'm celebrating with pizza! Just kidding ... as a person with food issues, I no longer use food to celebrate these days. I've actually been celebrating the new digital display since yesterday when it registered 58 pounds gone! Finally a circumstance worthy of my happy dance. I've been in a little bit of limbo since the end of April ... a plateau, I guess. I had been fluctuating, up and down, between 54-56 pounds for a couple months. So jazzed to be losing again.

The pizza just happens to be today's lunch and an opportunity to try out a new recipe. Today's noon time meal answers the question: "Can you take 1 cup quinoa and 1 cup water and make an awesome fat free, gluten free pizza crust?" The answer ... OMGoodness, yes you can! I had been hearing about a two ingredient quinoa flatbread recipe in the Forks over Knives Facebook group and wanted to give it a try. Of course, as always, I made my own modifications, especially since I was going to use it as a pizza crust.

Quinoa Flat Bread/Pizza Crust

1 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried basil (if I had had fresh basil I would have just put in on top of the pizza, but I didn't)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rinse quinoa well in a fine mesh strainer (unless you have purchase a pre-rinsed brand. Kirkland from Costco is one such brand.) Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender. It should be like a thick pancake batter. Spread out on parchment paper or silicone mat (I used the latter). Use a spatula to smooth out and shape. Should be rather thin. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven, turn over and put back in for another 8 - 10 minutes. Be careful when turning so as not to tear. I had to use a spatula on the silicone mat to release. When I made it using parchment, that wasn't a problem, however the flatbread kind of ballooned up and wasn't exactly flat when I used parchment.

When done you can enjoy as is or make a pizza like I did. While the flatbread was baking I simply sautéed onions, red peppers and some shredded lacinato kale in a non stick pan and used that for my topping over a basic no oil marinara sauce. Sorry ... didn't write down that recipe. I then baked the whole thing for another 5-8 minutes and sprinkled some almond parmesan over it when it came out of the oven. So yum!

Vegan Parmesan

1/2 cup almonds (I used sliced almonds)
3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp. garlic
1/4 tsp. salt

Process all ingredients in a blender until consistency you desire. Don't overprocess. This is awesome! I could eat it with a spoon. In fact, I did. I also used it on some Alfredo Zucchini yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. Is the quinoa cooked before measuring and used in this recipe or dry as it comes in the box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in answering. The quinoa is measured dry, uncooked. You blend the uncooked quinoa with the other ingredients and bake per instructions. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Hi there, I'm trying to get more info on the veggies for breakfast plan... How did you like it? Do you still do it?? And this flat break sounds amazing, I'm going to try it out, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry … guess I didn't get notified about this comment. I still do veggies for breakfast more often than not. Mostly, these days, in the form of soups. On the weekends I'll take more time and I love my Saturday morning stir frys!

    ReplyDelete