Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Shelving The Scale


My scale no longer resides in the kitchen, where, for years, I had kept it tucked under the baker’s rack so that I could, while trying to lose, weigh myself every week. Or, in truth, usually every other morning, or every morning, or even, sometimes, multiple times a day. Do you see the problem? I was far too fixed on its digital display … the blinking and the beeping as it counted down, me with my breath held until I received it’s assurance that I had been “good.” As if I could shed any noticeable amount of fat during any 24 hour period. Or worse, it’s earth shattering news of an increase.

When I was on those programs that had you weigh, measure and count your food I became obsessed with measuring and calculating  … not just counting points or exchanges, but also using food tracking software (in the days before apps) to tabulate grams of fat, carbs and protein along with vitamin and mineral intake. And the scale. The be all and end all of it all, it seemed, was the scale.

As I have been eating whole food, plant based, no oil (WFPBNO) these past eight months, I have been able to let go of most of that. I have been able to lose over 50 lbs. without weighing and measuring my food, without tracking points or grams of fats, carbs, protein. But the scale has stilled held far too important a place in this journey. I have allowed it to be the most important measure of my success. No more.

Dr. Doug Lisle has some good advice, based upon science, regarding the scale. You can see Chef AJ’s interview with him regarding this issue by clicking here.

After watching this interview I have, literally, shelved my scale. It now resides in my closet, on the top shelf. I may or may not allow it to measure my weight fluctuation in a month or so, but not my success. It will never again be a measure of my success. My blood pressure, my A1C, my loose fitting clothes, my increased energy, the lessening of pain and inflammation, beginning my day with veggies for breakfast, being an encouragement to someone else on their journey … these are the things that shall mark my success from now on.

What about you? How do you measure success?

No comments:

Post a Comment