Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Frugal Me


I shared this post on Facebook in a plant based group last week. I wasn’t really seeking any validation or pats on the back for my penny pinching. Those who know me know that I am frugal by nature. And I embrace it! What I did want to do was just let people know that this way of eating is accessible. It’s doable even on a budget. So many people mistakenly believe that eating plant based is more expensive. It makes me sad to hear, “I’d like to eat healthy, but can’t afford it.” Yes … I have heard that more than once.

The truth is oats, wheat, corn, quinoa, beans, legumes, potatoes, vegetables, fruit and more are all less expensive than meat, dairy and processed foods. These foods are the source of my sustenance. And I love that I can eat so well and so frugally without having to use coupons! My crazy coupon lady days are, for the most part, in the past. Although I did get a really good deal today at Lucky on Quaker Oats: $1.49 each when you buy 5, plus I used two $1/2 manufacturer coupons, then had a store coupon for $2 off purchase. Making my net cost for five 42 oz. cartons $3.45 or $.69 per carton, or $ .26 per pound! Better than the bulk bins at Winco. Sorry … I digress. But seriously, eating vegan (or whole food plant based) can be really (REALLY) inexpensive. Here’s a link for some videos on YouTube that can show you just how easy and frugal it can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment