Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

On Exercise ...

So, the other day I shared three of my new year's resolutions. I actually, however, have five of them. The other two are: 1) to lose 52 pounds, and 2) to exercise 3 times (at least) per week.

The former, given my 46 pound loss since August, should be a fait accompli. The latter, I have not yet begun. But I don't consider this a failure. I am still very resolved ... to begin soon. Until then I thought I'd share this poem I wrote some years ago about the subject.

Today I Started Exercising

(Feel the Burn)

Today I started exercising,
And, I'll tell you, it feels great.
First, I exercised willpower
As I pushed away my plate.

Then, I exercised my eyes
As I watched the morning news.
Next, I exercised patience
When the dog chewed up my shoes.

I exercised freedom of speech
When, in haste, I stubbed my toe.
Yeah, my lungs got quite a work out
After that ill-fated blow.

I stretched my creativity
Working out these humble rhymes.
Yes, I really felt the burn
Searching rhyme.com online.

Then, I exercised my neck
When, in prayer, I bowed my head
And spent some time talking to God,
Before I napped, upon my bed.

This gave my brain a real work out:
A crossword and some Scrabble.
A triple word score victory
Was mine for "psychobabble."

I'm sure all my neurotransmitters
Were on overdrive.
I sensed synapses strengthening,
Who needs aerobicize?!

This exercising isn't bad,
Yes, this fact I can avow.
Hey … I'm working out my fingers
As I type this poem just now!

Yeah, I've been training all day long,
My body's feeling quite abused.
I think I'll exercise some zzzzz's
Right now and take another snooze.

Copyright © by Jennifer Welsh

No comments:

Post a Comment