Translate

Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2019

The Mistake That Wasn't


A slather of gooey, stretchy vegan mozzarella and a sprinkle
of everything seasoning and angels began singing!
Did you know you can make toast in the microwave?! Now … I know some of you are opposed to microwaves, and if you are, then just stop right here. But if you aren’t opposed to microwaves and you love really (really) crunchy toast, read on.

I just made toast in my microwave and it was awesome! Well, actually, first of all, it was a mistake. But it turned out to be an awesome, wish I had actually thought of it, I will definitely do this again intentionally,  delicious, crunchy mistake. Now, you’re probably wondering why I didn’t just use the toaster. Am I right?! Well, for the simple reason, I don’t have a toaster … haven’t had one since I moved in February. It just hasn’t been that important for me to replace since I do have a Breville Smart Oven Air that will toast bread when I desire. Which is what I was going to do, but my bread was frozen, ‘cause it lives in the freezer. If it lived on my counter I’d be eating a loaf every week.

So I took my half loaf of Dave’s Killer 21 grain bread out of the freezer, used a knife to pry one slice apart from the rest and placed it in the microwave for 20 seconds to thaw before toasting. Or so I thought. I got busy and two minutes later when I remembered (because the buzzer went off) I was prepared to throw it out and start all over again. But I discovered it wasn’t the burnt mess I was expecting. It was slightly browned in places and quite crisp. I thought, what the heck, I’ll slather some melty, stretchy,gooey vegan mozzarella on it that I had made last night for my pizza, and just see how it is.  The cheese, by the way, was awesome on my pizza. So … I slathered a little. And then a little more. And after I slathered I sprinkled some everything seasoning on it and … mmm … mmm …mmm … toast heaven. I swear, angels were singing. Well, maybe that was my taste buds, but there was definitely a chorus going on in my head.

If you try it, just be aware that your microwave time may vary from mine due to the wattage thing and whether you are starting with frozen bread or not. I'd try it in 30 second intervals. But it's totally worth the try … if you like crunchy toast. (Did I mention that it was super crunchy?!) Toast from the microwave. Yes siree … this is definitely going to be a thing for me from now on.


If you liked this post, please consider leaving a comment and/or clicking the “Follow” button on the upper right. I also have a Facebook group that I have started and would love to have you join in and interact in regard to a whole food plant based way of eating. You can check it out here


No comments:

Post a Comment