Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, August 28, 2017

Day One ... of the rest of my life!

I love that song by Matthew West. I am officially adopting it as my theme song.  ... *"It's day one of the rest of my life ... Day one of the BEST of my life ..."

And it's day one of my new blog. A place where I can post all the pictures I want of healthy, nutritious and healing foods, and not feel like I'm bombarding all my Facebook friends! A medium I can use to journal about my journey to better health by adopting a whole food, plant based diet. A tool that will help with accountability (for myself -- no food police, please).  And, hopefully, a place that will offer encouragement and inspiration to others who find themselves in similar circumstances, dealing with health and/or food struggles.

I've tried this before.  If you are interested you can find my old blog here.  I thought then that I was focused on health and healing, but the scale and its digital display reigned supreme and I became obsessed (to put it mildly) with counting ... counting ounces, counting calories, counting carbs, counting fat grams, counting the time between meals, counting days ... etc. ad nauseam. And what did it get me? ... burnt out with counting and keeping track and results that didn't last. But I like what Dr. John McDougall has to say ... all my past, perceived failures have really served me well in that they have set me up for success now (my paraphrase).

I'll probably be referring to the McDougall diet often, as it is what started me down this path years ago. I have "dabbled" in a low fat, vegan diet for years with good results ... until I stopped dabbling and went back to the SAD (standard American diet) way of eating. No more! I'm done dabbling. I'm diving in. *"I'm marching on to the beat of a brand new drum, yeah, here I come, the future has begun ... Day One!"
Today's lunch ... Coleslaw with kidney beans and red potato, dressed with Bryanna Grogen's no oil poppy seed dressing. I've never put kidney beans or potato in coleslaw before today. But I like potato salad with kidney beans. And I like coleslaw, so I thought they just might be good together. I was right! It was very good and very filling. There was actually twice as much as is shown and I ate it all. Healthy, healing, whole foods ... no need to count calories, carbs, points, etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment