Translate

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 7, 2019

The Thrill of Victory ...


I went out to lunch today. It was a planned outing and I was prepared. This, alone, went a long way in ensuring a successful outcome.

I knew we were going Chinese and I knew the restaurant had two dishes, out of the 29 they offer at lunch time (yes ... I counted every single one on the menu), that I could choose from: Snow peas, Mushrooms and Bamboo shoots, or Mixed Vegetables Deluxe. I also knew (knowledge IS power!) I could order either veggie plate steamed, rather than stir fried, with no oil or sauces, and that each dish would come with steamed rice, an egg roll and a cup of hot and sour soup.

This is how I prepared before I left the house: I toasted one tablespoon of sesame seeds and packed it in a small plastic container. I also packed some toasted dehydrated onions that I had on hand. I had toasted them the other day to top a salad. I got the idea when I thought about those fatty, fried onions you can buy in a can and was thinking they would go great on top a salad. Well, I didn’t have any, nor did I actually want any. I just wanted the crunchy, oniony taste. I then realized I had some dehydrated onions … had had them for ages and not used them. I toasted them up in a pan and they were awesome! Anyway, since I had them on hand I thought they would also be good on top of some steamed veggies.

So, along with my toasted twosome, I packed my 3 oz. plastic bottles of Sweet Heat and Teriyaki Balsamic vinegars from California Balsamic. I am finding these are a great take along size. This very easy preparation turned some rather bland, simple steamed veggies and rice into an excellent, epicurean experience. The food, thanks to me, was great and the company and conversation, thanks to my awesome sister, was a delight!

Did I encounter temptation? I did mention that the lunch specials come with an egg roll, right? So … yeah … there was a little temptation. China City has the best egg rolls around, but I had already prepared myself that I was going to bring it home for hubby, along with the hot and sour soup, and that’s exactly what I did. Both are now, safely, in the fridge. And even better than the feeling of being satisfied by whole, plant based, no oil, food is this feeling of victory I am enjoying right now ... Now that’s some good stuff!
Left: Steamed, (naked) veggies. Right: Veggies ala Jenny!







1 comment:

  1. Way to go sister! What a great idea to plan ahead so that you could enjoy a great lunch and great company!

    ReplyDelete